(artist currently works in digital geometric art.)


"I started painting in 1959 and soon after enrolled at the San Francisco Art Institute. While at the SFAI I painted with oil on canvas — organic, painterly abstractions strongly influenced by the work of Clyfford Still. In 1962 I studied at the Yale-Norfolk School of Art and visited New York galleries. I was particularly impressed by the pop artists (they broke the ice for me) and [the works of] Frank Stella. Late in 1963 I began to:
(1) Use acrylic paint
(2) Use masking tape
(3) Shape the stretcher bars
(4) Use optical colour
(5) Use isometric perspective
"These paintings employed various optical illusions, garnered from such diverse sources as Persian miniatures, early Christian mosaics, Paul Klee, late Kandinsky, illustrations from Scientific American, or even advertising billboards. In 1965 for my first one-man show (at the Nicholas Wilder Gallery in Los Angeles) I painted a group of monochromatic paintings, acrylic on canvas, shaped on 4 inch deep stretcher bars.The perimeter of these one-colour panels defined an isometric or one point perspective plane. The concept of "painting as an object" was extended to "painting as the illusion of a plane in space" — literally, on the wall."



Vector, 1968, 60 1/2 x 132 inches (shaped), Moulded Polyester Resin and Fiberglass, Dodecagon Series (PTG 0061).
http://irondavis.com