http://www.yangyongliang.com/
excerpt from Inside the Design Mind IV....
By Andrew Caruso
Monday, February 11, 2013 8:00 am
AC:
You intricately weave worlds of reality and constructed absurdity
(fantasy). Visual clues and representational objects suggest the uneasy
way these two worlds collide in your work, with viewers searching them
as if reading a map. Why have you chosen to engage the viewer in this
way?
YY:
Because I am very complicated. My character can be divided in two
parts, like Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata [sic]. This piece of music has
both a passionate and a peaceful side. I think I’m very similar. I like
fantasy and passionate things as well as very peaceful and logical
things. You can see that all of my works also have two sides: peace and
danger, tradition and modernity, all combined.
I
think my works are trying to express a great deal of information to the
audience, but I don’t want everyone to understand my work in the same
way I understand it. I want the viewer to interpret it in his or her own
way. I think good artists should be inspiring and sensitive, rather
than imposing their own concepts on an audience.
